Friday, October 20, 2017

Chester Bennington and Linkin Park : A tribute to an American Singer (1976 - 2017)



Chester Charles Bennington was an American singer, songwriter, and actor. He was best known as the lead singer for the rock band Linkin Park, and also served as the frontman for Dead By Sunrise.

Chester on July 20th of 2017 was found dead due to suicide by hanging. He was found to be addicted to substances. And also he was considered to be heavily mentally depressed. Many of the band's albums have depicted these factors in their songs and how to overcome them through emotional struggle.

I heard Linkin Park's songs since 2006 and they were an iconic band among the global and Sri Lankan foreign rock music fans. But for me, I was alienated due to a lack of exposure to western media and entertainment. I may have listened to Linkin Park randomly but without proper analysis or sequence.

But after my primary, secondary and tertiary education or schooling in 2010, I was exposed to Linkin Park from 2010 to 2011 when I was at home till my higher education started.

One of my friends from the Association of Accounting Technicians - Sri Lanka (AATSL), final level gave me Hybrid Theory (2000), Meteora (2003), Minutes to Midnight (2007) and A Thousand Suns (2010) which were their initial albums.

Many of these albums and visuals were lead by the vocals of Mr. Chester Bennington and he showed the reflection of loss, depression, helplessness, confusion, fear and also the opposite of these which were the main themes of there songs. His voice variations and excessive screaming created an emotional impact based on themes of the songs, and it was very innovative for there time taking a new turn in rock music.

Later albums like Living Things (2012), The Hunting Party (2014) and One more light (2017) were personally followed up by me which was somewhat different in the band's approach to music.

Chester Bennington and Linkin Park take a major place in my playlist on my phone and even in my head. He was an amazing American rock singer and I have my fullest gratitude for him and his dedication to the art.

May this article be a tribute to his dedication and work in the field of music.


Images

No comments:

Post a Comment

VCD - DVD - Bluray haul Removal

  Lifer blog was about mostly my short prose about nature, personal experiences in Sri Lanka, Poetry, my personal writings in the period of ...