Sunday, September 17, 2017

A glitch in my sy...system


This is one of my first short stories. The idea came, 2 years before after watching one of my favorite life-changing film, Fight Club (1999).

This is a story about a kid, who's for the first time of his life, something goes wrong.

The story reflects how his mind works during the incident.

The context of the story may look theoretical, I wanted it to be that way because the narrator is kind of a studious person.

The format of the context is written in a more clearer pattern in order to make the reader understand the story without confusion.

I used Salvador Dali's "Sleep", as it was one of my favorite abstract arts.

So that's it...




A glitch in my sy...system



First published by Dimantha Polwatte, Mar 13, 2011, 11:22:43 PM

Literature / Prose / Fiction / Children and Teen / Short Stories

Also available in - 





At this very moment, my mind seems to be scrambled.
Losing its way…………It's unusual.
My mind was under my control. Everything was perfect.
Until today.

I used to be a perfectionist in my work. Everything was under my authority.
Until today.

Yes…….I worked a bit late last night and missed my usual eight-hour sleep. But I slept for four hours.
Okay……..okay……..
I agree…..
I slept for only three and a half hours.
And because of that I slept till six o'clock in the morning and missed the school bus.
I can feel it ……. I know……
Everything I did in the morning even brushing my teeth late doesn't feel right. But come on. It's okay…..
It's just today.

But you see….
What I don't understand is why I am so nervous. Right now I'm losing the limits of my mind and my body.
I am shivering and sweating.

Okay……
Before I lose this bit of consciousness….I confess…..
For the first time of my life, I'm standing outside my classroom coming to school late.

I hear slightly the echoes of our school song from a corner of my head. My concentration is broken. My face is fading away in front of this situation.
Come on…….. This is not a big deal…….
Right now in the corridor, I see five or six students standing near their classroom doors coming late.
They are same as me……

But this is me. I was special….. I was perfect.
I was praised for my accuracy, for my perfection.
I was the role model of my class.

Yes……I don't feel very well…..I'm not going to my class today…… I need some time to figure this out myself.

I heard the school song end. I ran into the school grounds and sat in the bench under a tree….

Wait……..

What….what……..was I thinking…..?
What am I doing…?
"Come on……let's get going with the program."
I said to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

VCD - DVD - Bluray haul Removal

  Lifer blog was about mostly my short prose about nature, personal experiences in Sri Lanka, Poetry, my personal writings in the period of ...